Monday, March 2, 2009


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Strangely this phrase is played over and over again in the back of my brain as I start reading "The Concepts" section of my NET 11 unit.

Greetings and salutations are usually inserted somewhere here, so I give them freely to you and hope that you will come along for the ride as I learn about the net and all the wild and wonderful things it can do.

Before I kick off though here is a list of my five tips for Blogger's and Blogging

5 Tips for Blogging.

1. Let people feel the emotion in your posts. Bloggs are just words on a page for some but any blogger worth their salt will take you with them on their journey.
2. Check your spelling, pretty self explanatory and while an occasional mistake is over looked reading sentences that look like alphabet soup makes your reader want to gouge their eyes out with a spoon.
3. Post in a manner that asks the reader to ask questions or makes the reasses their views on a particular subject.
4. Give credit where credit is due, remember to reference if your quoting someone.
5. Have fun, let people read the smile in your posts as it will keep them comming back.



So back to the concepts document what did I learn, I learn that email is asynchronous communication even though sometimes it may seem synchronous. People ( read Me) have an expectation that emails sent will be replied to with in a reasonable amount of time ( reasonable amount varies from person to person).


Ephemerality, I love that word. To be honest I had never heard of it before and had to do a quick dictionary search to find out that it means "lasting one day, transitory, fleeting". After a quick read of section 9 I realize that we as Internet users often assume that websites especially those that are well built or visually pleasing give the viewer a feeling of permanency, when in reality their life span is ephemeral. Section 9 also made me reassess my view on emails which we traditionally look at as being quite disposable but in actuality are anything but.

All in all the concepts document has made me look closely at the way I travel through cyberspace, how I interact with others , if the expectations I put on fellow
netziens are realistic and how I use different forms of communication.

So I come to the end of the concepts document, I uncross my eyes, take a deep breath and embark on a journey into Nett 11.


Links to check out....
Curtin University
Open University Australia
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment